Lately I’ve been working on a lacy shawl- my first attempt at such a thing. I found the pattern on Ravelry and it’s called the Rose Garden Shawl. I had hoped to make the Summer Flies shawl, but I was confused after the first sentence in the directions! This shawl requires total concentration as you can’t memorize the pattern- each row is different in the 10 row repeat. I’m not quite finished but take a look at what I have so far-
You begin by casting on 248 stitches. As you are casting on you need to separate the repeats- 16 stitches each. Unfortunately, my circular needs are really slippery and I’ve been struggling since casting on to keep the project on the needles.
Here it is after 2 skeins. I found 4 skeins of this beautiful merlot colored yarn. It is Freedom Gorgeous D.K. Twilleys of Stamford (England). The color is Tulip Freedome. Why that is spelled with an ‘e’ at the end is beyond me! The yarn is 75% Bamboo and 25% Nylon- a drastic departure from my usual 100% wool.
When I pull on the pattern the leaf motif becomes apparent. Hopefully blocking will really accentuate the pattern and lengthen the shawl. More pictures to come!
Finally the finished shawl:
Blocking the piece really helps the pattern stand out. It probably makes my mistakes stand out too!
When I started laying it out to dry (blocking) I was shocked at how long the shawl became. This used up 4 skeins perfectly. The top garter stitch portion is one skein, three were used on the lace leaf portion. I can’t wait to wrap it up and give it as a gift to the boys’ piano teacher at their May recital. I think it will look lovely with her blonde hair and fair complexion!